Article I. Purpose of the Long Term Recovery Group
1. The Lower East Side Long Term Recovery Group exists to cooperatively coordinate the response, resources, preparedness planning and training in response to Hurricane Sandy recovery and future disasters affecting the Lower East Side.
2. We will strive to:
a. Formulate, coordinate and provide for the dissemination of information related to Disaster Response and Preparedness that serves both residential and institutional use, collectively serving the welfare of the wider community.
b. Formulate, coordinate and provide for a long-term recovery plan in response to Sandy or future disasters, which serves both residential and institutional use, collectively serving the welfare of the wider community.
c. Advocate for additional long-term assistance in the wake of Sandy or future disasters to the most vulnerable affected and who are eligible for basic needs, referrals, and other additional needs that the LES LTRG might identify as necessary.
Article II. Members of the Long Term Recovery Group
1. Organization working within Manhattan’s Community Board 3 and the immediately adjacent neighborhoods are eligible for membership.
2. The LES LTRG is inclusive and open to community groups, organizations, institutions and entities that wish to be actively involved in responding and preparing collaboratively.
3. A voting member in good standing is an entity or organization that: regularly attends LTRG meetings; has signed an MOU detailing resources available for this effort; a willingness to participate during and after a disaster.
4. Non voting members are government agencies or national entities that participates in an advisory capacity.
5. Voting and Non Voting members are approved by the Executive Committee on a rolling basis.
Article III. Decision Making
1. LES LTRG relies on a consensus model for decision making. Collaboration, discussion and reflection among members will support the decision making process.
2. When definitive consensus cannot be reached or an outside relationship may require a vote for purposes of supplying resources, the LES LTRG will engage in a voting process.
3. The determination to bring an item to vote when clear consensus is not evident will be the responsibility of the Chair of the Executive Committee.
4. Members shall be notified one week (7 days) prior to the taking of a vote unless disaster requires swift action. Under disaster conditions notice will be provided as best possible.
5. Organizations that are voting members have one vote to cast on matters coming before the meetings, whether stated or special or by other electronic means.
6. Matters brought to a vote must receive half plus one of those members eligible to vote when the vote is called.
a. Voting may be done through remote electronic process such as by voice, text or email.
b. Voting by proxy and cumulative voting are not allowed.
Article IV. Meetings of the Long Term Recovery Group
1. All meetings will be at the call of the Executive Committee, the schedule of which will be coordinated and published by the Executive Committee.
2. Meetings may be performed in person or by other approved electronic means.
3. An Annual Meeting shall be held , for the purpose of:
a. electing executive officers, committee co-chairs
b. addressing any other business properly coming before the Organization
c. Public notice of the Annual Meeting time and place shall be given by written electronic notice to all Members at least one week (7 days) prior to the meeting.
d. The date and place of the Annual meeting shall be determined by the Executive Committee.
4. Special meetings shall be called by the Chair or any two officers, or upon the written request of ten percent of the Members, providing the call shall clearly state the purpose for the meeting and prior written notice being given one week (7 days) in advance to all Members. Only business specified in the call for the special meeting shall be conducted.
5. During periods of disaster notice of meetings will be completed as best possible.
Article V. Quorum
A quorum for transaction of business shall consist of fifty percent (50%) plus one (1) of voting Member organizations.
Article VI. Long Term Recovery Group Officers
There shall be elected from the Members of the Long Term Recovery Group:
1. A Chair who shall preside at all general membership meetings, as well as chair the Executive Committee.
2. A Vice-Chair who shall preside in the absence of the Chair, or at other times deemed necessary by the Chair and perform other functions as deemed necessary by the Executive Committee.
3. A Secretary who shall record and preserve all minutes of meetings, and perform other functions, as deemed necessary by the Executive Committee. If unable to attend a meeting, the presiding officer shall appoint a secretary pro tem for that meeting.
4. The Officers shall be elected for an initial term of one year with subsequent terms of two-years thereafter.
5. Officers are eligible for as many successive terms as the Long Term Recovery Group deems appropriate.
6. Officers must be elected from different voting Member organizations.
Article VII. Executive Committee
1. The Executive Committee shall be accountable to voting Members and consist of:
a. The Chair
d. Six (6) at large voting members.
e. Non voting members will participate in advisory capacity.
f. No voting Member organizations may have more than one representative elected to the Executive Committee.
2. The Executive Committee will perform coordinating functions for the LES LTRG including but not limited to :
a. Support and coordinate collaboration and planning among LES LTRG committees.
b. Coordinate discussion and planning with federal, city and state representatives
c. Identify priority areas for action.
d. Coordinate funding, resource allocation and LTRG financial oversight.
e. Disseminate information to Membership.
f. Set the Calendar of general membership meetings.
g. Coordinate calendar of committee meetings with Committee co-chairs.
h. Coordinate nomination and elections of officers and Executive Committee membership.
Article VIII. Committees and Taskforces
1. The Long Term Recovery Group may create such temporary or permanent committees made up of its Members or other persons as agreed upon.
2. These committees shall have such authority as the Long Term Recovery Group directs.
3. Committees will have 2 co-chairs representing different member organizations.
Article IX. Vacancies and Nominating Process
1. The Executive Committee shall determine the appropriate process for
a. Securing nominations from among the Members for vacancies of any of the offices and the Executive Committee and facilitating the election of the same
b. Determine the process for selection of committee co chairs
2. Vacancies may be filled at any regularly scheduled or Special Membership meeting.
Article X. Amendments
1. These Bylaws may be amended at any annual meeting or special meetings of the Long Term Recovery Group by a two-thirds vote of the voters present, providing that a full written account of the proposed changes have been sent by email to the primary organizational contact of all voting Members one week (7 days) prior to the meeting.
2. Amendments to the bylaws may be proposed by any voting member or committee and submitted to the Executive Committee for review and presentation to the voting membership.
Article XI. Dissolution of the Long Term Recovery Group
The dissolution of this LTRG will be by two-thirds vote of the Members.